GCSE equivalents have increased over the years due to GCSE maths and English being required at University and most employments. GCSE Equivalency Tests and functional skills are two of the equivalent qualifications. If you are looking at applying to a teacher training course, GCSE Equivalency Tests is the best qualification since they offer exams in the three core subjects (maths, English and science). You can contact MME to find out more about this exam. Functional skills is the other qualification that is popular. This qualification has different levels but the final level is the one that you need for the GCSE equivalent qualification. There is funding by the government for this exam if you are 19 years of age and younger where the functional skills course will be taken through a college. Unfortunately if you are an adult (above 19 years) then they won’t fund this qualification for you. You will have to apply as an independent learner and book the exam when you feel ready.

There are many GCSE equivalent qualifications that are accepted by establishments for example BTEC and NVQ but out of all of them, functional skills is the favoured qualification. If you would rather gain the full GCSE exams then you can, the exams are not as convenient since you can only sit them at two points during the academic year and that is why we prefer functional skills. To book your online functional skills exam, you can contact MME who will help you. If you prefer the old school paper exam then don’t worry, you have to sit that exam at your testing centre.